October 2, 2011

Thrift Share

While driving to visit with a friend in a neighboring town, I happened upon an estate sale. I turned on my blinker to signal the car behind me, that was following a little to close and going a wee bit too fast, that I was pulling over to the shoulder of the road. Does anyone know where I can get a bumper sticker that says "I stop for all Estate Sales."?

Walking up to the small farm house I could see that this home was in need of repair, and when I entered the back door my suspicions were confirmed. This old, tiny farm house smelled of mold and mildew. I quickly walked from the kitchen into the living room and did a quick glance around. Sitting on a chair almost in the middle of the room was a small valise filled with envelopes and certificates. If you are a regular reader of my blog you know that I have a love of ephemera, and so I was pulled in the direction of the valise.

I was very sad to see that  someones sentimental items were being sold for 25¢ a piece.

A wedding memento.

 Albert and Violet's marriage certificate from 1941.

 Such pretty graphics with lovely verses. 

Family members wrote their names in this keepsake, so future
 generations would know who witnessed this marriage.






Almost 13 years later Albert and Violet  baptised their daughter Trudy Lou.



What a pretty certificates. 




Violet's composition book was filled with stories that she had copied


Violet's handwriting is very small and hard to read.

I think this is a photograph of Albert. This photo was inside of the
program, and his name appears under Private First Class.

The above items cost me one dollar. I wish that I could find relatives of Violet or Albert's, so I could give them these special mementos. Of course, there is a chance that no one cares about these items, and that is why they were up for sale, but I don't want to believe that.


At a resale shop I was thrilled to find Emily Post's, "Etiquette" book.
That has been on my want list for a while.
 Heloise is always a fun book to read. There are some wacky ideas inside this book.


I am linking up with, Her Library Adventures on Sunday, for:




and with Apron Thrift Girl for:

14 comments:

  1. I agree, it is sad when such precious items are not kept in the family. I bought an Emily Post Etiquette Book last week. Great Finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about old papers like those, I bought a book and didn't notice at first that it had been written in at the front, to a Percy hawley Dunn from his grandmother in 1893, so as I subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk I searched for him, I found his birth, marriage,death, census details etc, maybe one day I'll find one of descendants to pass it on to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what beautiful certificates and papers. Wonder what happened to their family?
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, I cannot imagine anyone not keeping those items!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks goodness you found them and will appreciate them. Modern certificates just dont cut it do they-these, especially the wedding one are just exquisite x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's just so sad that pieces like this are not appreciated by family members. I am so happy that you found them to enjoy and care for. I have several pieces like this my mother recently gave me. They really are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe those were 25 cents! It is sad, but it's wonderful that they went to someone who could appreciate them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finds, I'm glad you rescued them. If you ever find the bumper sticker let me know! Thank you for your comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are all so beautiful it's hard to believe that a family member would not have wanted to hang on to them.. but nice to know that you will enjoy and treasure them.
    hugs from Savannah, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sad it is to think that there is no family to want these beautiful treasured pieces. Lucky you stopped by, as now they are appreciated again.

    It would be interesting to find more about the family they lost.

    Albert looked dashing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You might want to look into the military yearbook with picture. Thats got to be worth some money. Really cool world war II ephemera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Makes one wonder what happened to the family whose estate was being sold. Thanks for sharing such vintage ephemera.
    - Joy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such precious ephemera. For me, part of the experience of collecting pieces like that is imagining the story behind them. I know you'll give them a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know right, why wouldn't someone keep those? Such items always leave me wondering about the story of the people behind them.

    Thank you for linking up to our thrifty link party! BTW- when I was a kid I always wanted to get my mom a bumper sticker that said I break for yard sales. lol!

    ReplyDelete