January 22, 2012

Thrift Share

I arrived home from Las Vegas Thursday night tired, with less money, but so glad I got away for five fun filled days and nights.

On Friday morning, the news talked about the snow storm that was to hit within a few hours, I hurried to the grocery store, than paid a visit to my favorite store that is right across the street. Yep, you guessed it, Goodwill.

Here, is what I found,

A West Bend Penguin Hot Cold Server -  priced $4.99.

Made in West Bend, Wisconsin, the Penguin was used during the 1950's and early 1960's as an ice bucket. The Penguin can also be used to keep food hot. The handles are made of brown Bakelite and slop down to resemble the wings of a penguin. I will have to invite people over, so I can use my vintage Penguin server.

Looking forward to see what everyone else found this week.

I am linking up:
 with Her Library Adventures, Flea Market Finds
Apron Thrift Girl, Thrift Share Monday
Cap Creations, Thrifty Goodness
Me and My Shadow, Magpie Monday
and Hey, What's for Dinner Mom?, The Penny Worth Project

16 comments:

  1. Isn't it sweet, love the handles being little wings. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's really beautiful, the handles especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen anything like that before - very unusual!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen anything like the penguin before either.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip to Vegas, I surprised Tony with a trip to Vegas and Palm Springs (where he paid his respects to his idol Frank Sinatra who is buried there). It was chaos and all go but we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Nellie made Orange Java Brownies. Makes my mouth water. I have too much of a sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely lovely, and so unusual.What a great price too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing - I'd want to use it all the time!

    Hope the storm wasn't too bad. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great find. Great price. I had seen something on Antiques Roadshow recently where they had a silver punch bowl with wooden handles on the cups. They said that finding a piece with the wood in good shape is tricky because these items were well used. Lucky find for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness! My grandma gave me that same pot not too long ago! I think it was my great grandmother's. I had no idea the handles were bakelite. I haven't used mine yet, but it's on my cabinet to be admired. :) I found some vintage Crazy Daisies Corelle last weekend. Love it! It's what my mom had when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great find at such a great price!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen one of those before. Hope you have lots of fun using it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! I love how it is designed to "look" like a penguin.

    ReplyDelete