January 27, 2012

The Aunt's Salt Box

I was pleasantly surprised when my sister presented me with the salt box that sat on the pantry shelf in my grandparents house. Both of my grandparents were gone before I was born, so I never had the pleasure of knowing them. My aunts continued living in the house after my grandparents were gone. One aunt, my favorite, Aunt Vic was a spinster, and my other aunt Aunt Stella was a widow. My parents home and my grandparents/aunts home sat on three lots, with the middle lot being shared by both houses.

What a lucky little girl I was to have my aunties so close by. If my mother cooked something horrid for dinner, like liver and onions, I'd go next door to see what the aunts were going to eat. I had the best of both worlds. My Aunt Stella was the cook while my Aunt Vic worked outside of the home. Aunt Stella made homemade soup every other day, chicken noodle, beet soup with boiled potatoes, and ox tail soup were among my favorites.

Off the kitchen was a narrow pantry with two shelves on one wall, while the opposite wall housed one higher shelf and a row of hooks that kitchen towels, and aprons stood waiting to be used at the next meal.

On the lowest shelf right in the middle stood the salt box, I have such vivid memories of licking my finger sticking it in the salt box and placing my salt encrusted finger in my mouth. I loved salt! I still  really like salt.

The salt box from my aunts house.

Aunt Vic (left) and Aunt Stella (right) always wore aprons while cooking.

So thank you sweet sister for giving me the salt box. Aunt Vic and Aunt Stella thank you for rescuing me from some awful meals at my house I loved these two ladies and miss them immensely.

Dziękuję za posiłek (thank you for the meal- in Polish)

9 comments:

  1. You lucky thing Paulette, its beautiful and a family heirloom to treasure too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool is that?! Enjoy your salt box and savor your happy memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet that was some good eaten' at your aunts' house. How wonderful that your sister gave this sentimental piece to you for your collection. Now you can enjoy the warm memories of your dear aunts every time you see the salt box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed your post and seeing pictures of your beloved Aunt's.
    The salt box is so pretty and will evoke a memory everytime you see it. your sister knows the best kind of gifts to give!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post. Loved the story and the wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beauty. How lucky that you can now use and enjoy it in your own home. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, I love this post and those fantastic photos! And the salt box? sigh. And BTW, I couldn't believe I hadn't gotten around to becoming a follower yet! So now I am. Glad to be following along. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Paulette, I have nominated your lovely blog for the versatile blogger award.Check out my blog for details X

    ReplyDelete