June 3, 2012

Thrift Share

EstateSales.Net is a website that notifies me of dates, times, locations, and photos of items that will be at estate sales in my area. Love the photos. You can subscribe to this free site and receive notices of sales in anyone of the 50 states including Canada, EstateSales.Net.

Starting Tuesdays EstateSales.Net will send me emails with notices of upcoming and current estate sales and auctions in my area. I am trying to be more selective about my thrift purchases because my children are tossing around the word hoarder, I dislike that word, collector is more to my liking, and more importantly I am running out of storage space. 

However, I woke up Thursday morning with the knowledge that in a neighboring town at 9 AM an estate sale started. I kept thinking about a scale that was featured in one of the advertising photos.

Do you see it in the lower right corner?
I resisted until 9:30 AM when I could stand it no more, I jumped into my car and drove to the sale, I always seem to have decent luck at Thursday morning estate sales. It was a rainy, miserable day, and when I arrived around 10:00 AM they had just finished calling all the names of the people on the list. I was able to walk right into the house.

This beauty was priced at $4.00. I have
wanted one for a while, but the cost of
the ones I saw were out of my price range.

The scale table is a little cattywampus,
but i still like it.

Universal Landers, Fray, Clark
household scale 25 pounds by ozs

The base has lovely detail, I like the curvy corners.

The underside shows that the scale was once a shade of green.

This scale has seen better days, however it reminds me of days gone by, and I just like it. I had to wash off my new found treasure and when I started rubbing on the rust, I mean the patina, I could see color coming thru.

My question is should I continue to clean the patina off and hopefully reveal the color, or just leave it as is? I would appreciate all suggestion on what to do and how to clean.

Looking forward to see what everyone else found this week.

I am linking up with:
  Her Library Adventures, Flea Market Finds
Apron Thrift Girl, Thrift Share Monday
Me and My Shadow, Magpie Monday
Hey, What's for Dinner Mom? -  The Penny Worth Project
Cap Creation, Thrifty Love Link Party

17 comments:

  1. Great find - it is really difficult to decide sometimes whether to leave things as they are.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paulette, I dont know what to suggest for that one.I think it would probably be nicer left as it is, if you try to paint it you could spoil it.I wouldnt even know how to go about cleaning it up properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The patina is wonderful! I had one just like it in much better condition and I like yours much better. What a great feature for the garden with a potted plant on top! Or in a grouping of antiques in the kitchen. I can picture a rusty old wire egg basket on top. Lucky find at such a great price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your find, and the color coming through is great! I think I would lightly clean it and leave it as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great score on the scale. I love any type of scale and snatch them up when possible.
    Karen G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! you're just like me, if I've seen something, I won't sleep or stop thinking about it! I say leave the scales as they are, they're beautiful. Forget the hoarder word! the kids will be thankful when your treasures are antiques for their children x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely an d I would leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like the contrast of the rustiness and the color shining through; I'd leave it as it is. What a fabulous find this was and can't beat the price!!

    The "H" word has been circulating in my brain lately as well. Trying to be a little more selective myself. It's hard when it's sooo much fun finding treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool resource for estate sales, thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great find! personally I'd just leave it as it is. It has such personality and character rust and all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the base of one a very similar colour. But I don't know whether you should leave it as is or not. aargh! Its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love estatesales.net? I sure do. Wish more of our estate sales would start on Thursdays--not that I can go most of the time (my job gets in the way). But, occasionally, I can break away over my lunch hour do do a little shopping. : ) That scale is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think is't beautiful just as it is. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Patina is a posh name for rust??!! I am SO on board with that!
    I love them and the patina :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it just as it is! Love the shabby rustic look and that lovely color peeking through. Great find! Thanks for joining us at cap creatiions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I am in love with that scale. I too have been wanting one but the cost is usually higher than I want to spend. So I'm still on the lookout. I found you from a blog hop and am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that site as well for finding sales. I have been on the hunt for an old scale. Never imagined I could find one for such a great price. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete