March 20, 2012

Vernal Equinox ~ First Day of Spring

With the unusual March weather here in Wisconsin, temperatures in the high 70's and low 80's for several weeks, I almost forgot that today was the first day of spring or the vernal equinox.

The word  equinox is Latin meaning equal night. The spring and fall equinoxes are the only dates with equal daylight and dark as the Sun crosses the celestial equator.

My students always looked forward to the first day of spring because we would create a segment for our school television news program on the vernal equinox. Folklore has it that you can stand a raw egg on end during this day, so five students would be chosen to see if they could balance an egg. 




Frustration, giggles, success and high fives would fill the air in our small television studio where everyone usually had success, even if for only a second, with the egg stand. Some eggs stood on end for several hours. 

Of course, it is a myth that you can only stand an egg on end during the vernal equinox, if conditions are right this can be done at other times. 

I decided to try this yesterday, I got one to stand on end,
but after five minutes I just couldn't get the second one to stand on end. 


I retired last June, so someone else at my old elementary school will have fun with the students. 
Go ahead give it a try, you know you want to.

5 comments:

  1. We've done that several years on the first day of spring. Fun, huh! :-) Actually, the dogs and I got a short walk this morning while it was still near dark, all quiet here in the country, accompanied by a great chorus of busy birds. It was beautiful. Spring is here! Have a happy day!♥

    I like your bunnies and eggs pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of that piece of folklore before - will give it a try!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been thinking that the first day of spring was March 21 which was my dad's birthday. I usually have a calendar than I can depend upon but not this year - I am lucky that they list Easter.

    Well, for the last three days I have woken up to snow covered grass. Today was no exception and we are having a high of 48 degrees. Not warm here for the first day of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten about this until now. We did this almost 50 years ago while I was in Kindergarten. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were you in on the "broom balancing" too?! I couldnt beleive it in febuary and though it was some kind of facebook scam, and then a really trusty friend posted about it so I tried it an LO AND BEHOLD the broom stood up on its own! haha Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete