March 9, 2012

Anderson Art Center Quilt/Fiber Art Exhibit


I read in our local newspaper about a quilt exhibit being held at Anderson Art Center  located on Lake Michigan in my hometown, so my friend and I made plans to go on Thursday afternoon.

I have become interested in quilting (not that I quilt, I just look) after reading Cathy's blog Blueberry Patch. Cathy is an accomplished quilter/fiber artist, and I have enjoyed reading about her progress on the quilts she makes and seeing her final product. Cathy combines beautiful colors and designs to create stunning quilts. Take a few moments and check out her blog, especially her post titled Modern Mini Challenge which is an optical illusion lap quilt. 

The Anderson Art Center  was donated by Janet Lance Anderson who deeded her house to Kenosha County to be part of Kemper Center park grounds. Mrs. Anderson lived in this magnificent home until her death in 1989, at the age of 96. 


Walking into the art center sun filled the first room we walked into and on the walls hung gorgeous quilted designs. Here, is a sample of what we saw.

How incredible the fiber art pieces looked in this sun filled room.

This was one of my favorite pieces.

The terrace door lets sunlight flow inside the room.

Looking out the terrace door - 
you can see beautiful Lake Michigan.

I thought of my blog friends Anne from Marmalade and Catmint,

and Ruth from Dian's Timpanalley, when I spotted these cat quilts.

We headed up this stairway to the second floor.
Spiral staircase to the second floor.

After climbing the staircase, we were greeted by whimsical quilts.




A view of the court yard from the second floor window. 
Second floor view of some of the grounds.
This abstract/illusion quilt I thought was stunning.

After viewing these, I look forward to the spring flowers.







What a marvellous afternoon I had, spending time with a good friend, viewing stunning fiber art work, and walking around that grand old house. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow - what an amazing exhibition! Love the ladies sitting on a bench - fab!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. would love to see all these in person...and what a gorgeous location for the exhibit!
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful quilts on display! And thank you Paulette for your kind words about my quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a quilter but my friend Becky is so I am going to forward a couple of your photos to especially the cat ones because she is a cat lover too.

    Those quilts were absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed these beautiful photos of quilts. I can't believe how creative these people are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow-those are amazing-I can't believe the originality-and detail-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow-those are amazing-I can't believe the originality-and detail-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i tagged u in a post over at my blog

    http://itsjustcalledspicy.blogspot.com/2012/03/tag-youre-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite quilt is the ladies sitting on the bench - awesome.

    such a lovely place, what a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! i love quilts and these are by far the most beautiful ive seen :D thanks for posting them paulette!

    ReplyDelete