March 25, 2012

Thrift Share



The contents of the estate sale that I attended on Saturday belonged to a retired Catholic priest. As you can imagine the house was filled with religious articles, statues of saints, bibles, prayer books, and of course household items. The priest was well traveled and had many beautiful items. The house was loaded with things for sale, and many people were in attendance.

I was thrilled when I entered the basement and found a table full of vintage books.

1968 Child's book: Evening Prayers
by Ester Wilkins & Pictures by Eloise Wilkins.

Look at those chubby little fingers 
that softly stroke the baby robins head.
The prayer reads:

A little bird fell from the nest.
I put him back with all the rest.
I heard him faintly cheeping.

The nest is high upon the limb.
Dear God, will You take care of him?
I leave him in your keeping.


I like the art work of Eloise Wilkins.

This book was published in 1942.




1945 baby book.

Filled with wonderful images.

A medal for the babies crib.



This Coro signed charm bracelet has figural 
charms representing the ten commandments.

Each charm has a Roman numeral,
this is the fifth commandment,
Honor thy father and thy mother.

Looking forward to see what everyone else found this week.

I am linking up:
 with Her Library Adventures, Flea Market Finds
Apron Thrift Girl, Thrift Share Monday
Me and My Shadow, Magpie Monday
Hey, What's for Dinner Mom? -  The Penny Worth Project
Cap Creation, Thrifty Love Link Party







20 comments:

  1. Those illustrations are gorgeous. I love the charms, I have never seen anything like them. So interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The charm bracelet... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting sale!! Lovely treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to have been at that sale! The books are so charming and the charm bracelet is so unique, I have never seen one like that - what a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh - thank you for sharing your treasures. How interesting to see that particular sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have loved to have had the books.They are gorgeously illustrated and I think anyone would treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the illustrations of Eloise Wilkin! What a fabulous find that Evening Prayer book is. The little charm bracelet is so sweet. What lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just adore children's books. You found some really sweet ones! Thanks for sharing. Have a great week ahead!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw - the first book is so sweet!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Eloise Wilkins books. The illustrations are so sweet and charming. You got some really nice stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved the books. Did you have a lovely baby book? My brother Fred had two; I had none.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful books, I bet his home was filled with so many wonderful things. I envy your housesales xx

    http://thewhiteapproach.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Eloise Wilkin illustrations, I have just started the hunt for more of her books, they're beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow wow wow, those illustrations are just beautiful. I would have taken my scissors to them by now, cutting them up in the name of craft, which just feels a little sacreligious! AM glad you found them and not me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The books are so pretty. Love the bracelet too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely and not usual estate sale. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a religious person, but those baby books are so beautiful.

    There's something very sad about it though don't you think?

    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovet the goodies you found! I have not been to an estate sale in a long time. Things sure do change when you have kids!!! Thanks for linking up at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete