March 31, 2012

Thrift Share

I was on the hunt Saturday morning, not for vintage items or thrift finds, but for the newly released Skylander  Legendary figure for my five year old grandson. For those of you who aren't aware of what a Skylander is I'm right with you because I don't know either. What I do know is that it's for a video game, and it is an extremely popular item.

So instead of standing in a queue waiting to get into the estate sale, I was standing in line outside of Toys R Us waiting for it to open. I am happy to report I was able to secure one Skylanders Limited Edition Legendary Trigger Happy figure for his Easter basket.



Our arrival at the estate sale was rather late, and everything was picked over. I wandered around the upstairs and basement before finding my sister standing outside on the deck just off from the kitchen. No one else seemed interested in the few items that were displayed on the deck except for my sister. She stood in front of a record cabinet with sliding wooden doors that were warped. Several items were displayed on the top of the cabinet, but that was not what my sister was interested in. She was unsuccessfully trying to slide open the cabinet doors. This cabinet, which was not intended for outdoor use, had endured a lot of damp and wet weather and those doors would not budge. As we struggled to open the doors, we attracted a few on lookers.

We could see that several items were inside the cabinet, but we had no idea what the items were. After several minutes of straining, pulling, and yanking the sliding door, it budges about six inches, just enough to pull out the mystery items within. We now had four people watching and waiting to see what the contents would be. 

Here are the treasures that I pulled our from inside the cabinet...



Turquoise "Gold Tweed" pedestal vase/pot by Haeger.


Does anyone know what year this was produced
from the makers mark?


This Haeger vase measures eleven and a half inches tall.
I can't wait to display some lilacs or peonies in this vase. 






This year my deviled eggs will be sitting 
on this Indiana clear glass egg tray.


This tray is beautiful even upside down.

There were several more items inside the cabinet that we weren't interested in, some dishes, a Haeger Madonna planter, pickle jars, and some junk. 

All of these items were extremely dirty and had no prices.  We got in line, to get prices and pay for our treasures. When the man saw the dirt and grim he said "These must be from the garage everything out there is dirty." I paid $3.50 for all three items.

Moral of the story; always open doors and drawers, look under tables and inside boxes, because you never know what you might find.

Looking forward to see what everyone else found this week.

I am linking up:
 with Her Library Adventures, Flea Market Finds
Apron Thrift Girl, Thrift Share Monday
Me and My Shadow, Magpie Monday
Hey, What's for Dinner Mom? -  The Penny Worth Project


10 comments:

  1. oohh i love devilled eggs and your egg tray is just fab! what treasures inside a wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is definitely a great tip, to look inside drawers and cabinets. Your treasures prove that you can find some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandson liked his birthday gift and had already made it up. It was a robot made from legos. He had a blue birthday cake and was thrilled. I did get to skype on my birthday and his birthday so that was fun.
    I liked your finds at the estate sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an egg try just like yours and yes, digging and getting your hands dirty is the smart way to thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you - never heard of Skylanders!

    I've only ever been to one estate sale. How do you go about finding them? I just see the postings on Craigslist & Kijiji. Some of the images, I must say, creep me out. You know the person is dead, they are selling their everything.. even their clothing & walker. We bought a really ugly plaid cooler that sat in my friends trunk for about 2 months.

    We keep saying we'll go to more, but I go to bed around 2-3 in the morning.. I can't drag myself up early enough to get "the good stuff".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those vases are awesome! I use a similar (as vase number 2) green Floraline vase in my pantry for grocery produce plastic bags and I have one of those deviled egg platters in my collection of said platters...
    We keep free-range chickens (whom we refer to as "the girls") here at the Texas Treasure Box and I pretty my deviled eggs up with spears of fresh rosemary, snipped garlic chives and any flowers I can find...everything is organic and edible. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned my lesson - I will start opening cabinet doors now. and throwing dirt all over things so they look junkier :). Love the Haeger vase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that tall white Haeger vase! You're right--that will look stunning with a bunch of beautiful lilacs pouring out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes peonies please! I wish I could grow them. Your vase is great. Thanks for linking up at Cap Creations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a good grandma! :) And you still managed to find some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete