September 6, 2011

Was Michaelangelo a thrift shopper?

Someones trash is another persons treasure; how many times have we heard this saying, and being thrift shoppers, junkers, rummage sale gurus, we know that it's the truth.

I was reading a book that I bought from an estate sale a few weeks ago and came across a story that I found interesting. I'm sure some of you know this information, but it's new to me so, I thought I would share it.

While still a young man, the sculptor Michaelangelo used to walk daily past a discarded slab of marble in a vacant lot. The stonecutter who quarried the stone cut it too thin, and a great sculptor who hardly anyone remembers today, failed trying to carve a figure out of the piece.

Michelangelo Buonarroti
1475-1564

This marble laid in the vacant lot until Michaelangelo got permission to have the stone carried to his studio. For months, he worked behind closed doors the result from this useless ruined piece of marble was the statue of David, one of the world's greatest works of art.

Michaelangelo's David


Was Michaelangelo a thrift shopper? He saw the potential beauty in the discarded marble and turned it into a master piece. On a daily basis, I read and see photos of how fellow thrift shoppers transform pieces into beautiful objects. To all who repurpose objects I say BRAVO you are the Michaelangelo's of today. One of the blogs I follow is Villabarnes - Rosemary has turned many items into beautiful pieces for home furnishing. If you have a few moments check out her blog, I don't think you will be disappointed.

6 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant post - I'd never have thought of a discarded block of marble quite this way but it's absolutely true!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You post about thrifters, I am doing dolls today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's an interesting thought..Michaelango a thrifter? Hmmm. I'd like to think he was.

    Rosemary did an incredible job with that chandelier. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete