June 4, 2014

Annoying, Pleasant, Joy

Annoying

It's that time of year when I get annoyed by helicopters, not the kind that has a propeller, but rather the seeds with wings, also know as samaras seeds from the Silver Maple tree.


This is the source of my angst, my neighbors Silver Maple tree.


Every Spring these trees produce twin seed pods that twirl down scattering themselves all over the neighborhood.

The seeds are looking for a new home to take root.  Aggh!

They can quickly be swept up from the cement. . .

but often get caught in the cement lines and sprout baby trees.

The grandkids have a blast tossing these into the air and watching them twirl around like a helicopter. Sigh, I dislike them!

Pleasant

Yesterday my friends harvested their camellia flowers and stems from their garden. I just missed the whole process, darn it.

This is a camellia plant. The flowers look similar to a Daisy.

They pick the flowers and stems, put them in small clusters, wrapping a few stem around the whole bunch securing them all together.

The camellia will be placed outside in the sun for a few days to start the drying process, and then hung upside down to finish drying.


This is a bunch from last year. You place the camellia into water bring it to a boil, strain and enjoy one of the best teas I have ever tasted. 

Joy

My one month old grandson is just one of my sources of joy!





Hope you find pleasure and joy in your day.
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Chamomile tea is supposed to be so soothing and relaxing. I am sure I must have some wild chamomile out here somewhere. But I am probably too late to harvest it. Your grandson is such a cutie. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet baby boy. I can't believe it has been a whole month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet little boy pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little grandson you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are adorable pictures of your grandson! I use to raise chamomile but have not had luck with it over the last few years. Another great flower easy to grow that looks similar and blooms all summer is feverfew.

    ReplyDelete