November 20, 2012

Lincoln, A Culinary Anthropologist and Thanksgiving


Steve Spielberg's movie Lincoln starting Daniel Day-Lewis as President Abraham Lincoln and Sally Field as Mary Todd Lincoln is a historical drama that all of my friends and family are talking about. I have not seen this film yet.  I have enjoyed the mini series about John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson so I look forward to stealing a few hours from my schedule and going to the movie theater.

While, on the social network Facebook, a friend posted a link to The Shiksa Facebook page. Tori Avey, is The Shiksa and the author of two websites, The Shiksa in the Kitchen and The History Kitchen


I spent over an hour reading The History Kitchen, Tori Avey is a culinary anthropologist and has written fascinating articles, at least to me, about why and how we eat the foods we do. 

I am a big fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery's books Anne of Green Gables  while on, The History Kitchen website, I found a post title Anne of Green Gables Raspberry Cordial. A snippet of the story pertaining to the cordial episode in the book, with a short history lesson on cordial, and the recipe for cordial was a fun read.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner Avey's post on The History Kitchen website, titled Thanksgiving, Lincoln and Pumpkin Pudding you will be informed how President Lincoln, while not being the " ...first president to recognize the holiday, Lincoln ensured that Thanksgiving would be celebrated as a national day of thanks for years to come."

The blog post Thanksgiving, Lincoln and Pumpkin Pudding gives some Thanksgiving recipes from an1853 cookbook.

Photo source:The History Kitchen

Pumpkin Pudding
source:The History Kitchen

Apple Pudding
source:History Kitchen

source:The History Kitchen
As I prepare for my celebration with family and friends, I will be attending my grandsons school mass this afternoon where he will read a passage from the scriptures this afternoon.

I am an extremely blessed person and I am truly THANKFUL.

4 comments:

  1. The Pumpkin pudding looked really yummy but I have no idea what Shiksa is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin pudding??? It sounds wonderful!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Lincoln info. i actually got Harold Holzer to come speak at the anniversary of the Charleston IL riot..he consulted on the movie and I am so anxious to see it!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw Lincoln on Monday and I hope you do take the time. It was wonderful! I am also a fan of Anne of Green Gables. I will be sure to check out the links you provided!

    ReplyDelete