November 1, 2012

As I Get Older...

As I get older, I just celebrated my sixty first birthday last Friday, historical events that held no interest to me as a teenager and young adult have become extremely intriguing to me now.

As a Netflix subscriber I have the opportunity to consider many different types of genres,  I found a show produced by  PBS for Masterpiece Theater, titled: Foyle's War.

A short summary about Foyle's War, taken from: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/foyleswar/

"Set along the South Coast of England in the 1940s, Foyle's War stars Michael Kitchen as Christopher Foyle, the straightforward sleuth who fights his own battles on the home front while war rages across Europe." 

I enjoyed this series, and I felt as if I lost friends after watching the last episode.

I just finished Kate Morton's newest book: The Secret Keeper, while the story setting is in the year 2011, the answer to the secret is found during WW2.

For two days, my life seemed to revolve around this book, toss in a load of laundry, read a chapter or two, clean the bathroom, read some more. I have liked all of Kate Morton's book and her newest book  The Secret Keeper did not disappoint me.

After reading and watching  stories about World War Two, I decided to find out more about how people coped during this horrible time.

I found the site; WW2 People's War. The BBC asked people to contribute their memories of World War Two, so between June of 2003 and January of 2006, the BBC collected 47,000 stories and 15,000 images.

I have spent many hours pouring over these pictures and stories that have been submitted by people who had memories of this dreadful war.

Here, is one of the happier stories that was submitted by Ida Vee.


Source:
'WW2 People's War is an online archive of wartime memories contributed by members of the public and gathered by the BBC. The archive can be found at bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar'
Picture and Story:
A Doll Sent from Canada:by Ida Vee:WW2 People's War 

This website has touched my heart, and I just wanted to share it with anyone who might be interested.

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.
General Dwight D. Eisenhower

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paulette, I was never interested in hearing about the second world war years ago but nowadays take much more note when my mum and dad speak of it.Its fascinating what you learn.
    Just as an off the wall comment, it was on the news this morning that a man in a village in the south of england had been having a new chimney in his house and found a dead carrier pigeon in the old one.Its leg still had a red message container on it and when it was opened up it had a coded message from WW2! They are trying to crack the code now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a wonderful book called Letters from Lavender Cottage by Victoria Seymour. It was a unique true account about care packages sent by my Canadian friend's mom to her relatives in England during and after the war when rations were in short supply. It really opened by eyes to how difficult life was there while we were prospering here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you have two books on kindle, what do you do with them? Do you keep them and reread them again in a few years or what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree! Steve and I often talk about all the degrees we'd love to take if we had the time/ money. The list includes: philosophy, feminism, geology, history... I need another lifetime to fit it all in!Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I have not been good at keeping up since I went back to work from vacation! Happy Belated bday.
    I have a great deal of interest in WWII so I will be anxious to check the site out..thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you, as I've gotten older (almost 63) things that held no interest in my youth now bring fascination (genealogy for instance). Lovely post and thoughts... I'm your newest follower. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just finished the last of 16 or so titles of Foyle's War at the library, there are a couple more DVDs that were made so now I need to check out Netflix! I loved the shows and like you, hated to come to the end of them!

    ReplyDelete