July 5, 2012

My Dish to Pass ~ Watermelon Salsa

We celebrated Independence Day, like so many others, by having a picnic in the backyard with family and friends. My youngest daughter hosted this event, and while the temperatures remained in the high 90's with a heat index of well over 100 degrees, we all managed to have a fabulous time.

Everyone was invited to bring a dish to pass, I was asked to make baked beans, I politely declined. What I actually said to my daughter went something like this: "Are you crazy, I'm not turning the oven on to make baked beans in this kind of heat!"

A few weeks ago, while perusing  Facebook, one of friends posted a photo of her salsa, she had 26 comments from friends raving about her salsa. I messaged her and asked for the recipe. To my surprise that photo on Facebook was watermelon salsa. With the recipe in hand, I decided to make the salsa for my dish to pass for the 4th of July picnic.

 I'm sure that this recipe has been all over the internet and Pintrerest, but I thought I would still share.

Watermelon Salsa

This my watermelon salsa.

Ingredients need for recipe:
  • Seedless watermelon, about 2.5 pounds
  • 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 1 bunch of cilantro
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 2 limes
  • salt
To make you will need to:
  • Chop 3 cups of watermelon into small cubes
  • Dice 1/3 cup cilantro, about half a bunch
  • Dice 1/4 cup red onion
  • Dice 1/4 cup green pepper
  • Dice 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Serve with tortilla chips.

The salsa turned out to be a refreshing mouthful and everyone seemed to like it.

A refreshing bite of watermelon salsa.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! That sounds so delicious, especially for a hot day. We don't usually get your kind of heat though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy! It's a must try though. It's so different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see you saying that to your daughter. I tried a watermelon salsa last year at a pool party - it was really good. I was invited to my neighbors and we took food into her and her husband since she is down with a broken leg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love watermelon, so I can imagine that I would love this as well. Got lots of cilantro in my garden right now! Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete