July 26, 2011

My Summer Reading

"Never judge a book by its cover." I know that it's not right to prejudge the worth of something by its appearance, but I cannot seem to read a book that has a cover I don't like. Thank goodness I liked the covers on the books that I read this weekend!

I have been seeing commercials for the movie "The Help" that will be in theaters on August 10th, and I have seen the book at an airport store.  I never really thought too much about the movie or the book. While shopping at Costco last weekend, I decided to browse the book section.  "The Help" a novel by Kathryn Stockett was stacked high, and I picked up the book so, I could read the synopsis.  While I was reading the back cover, a woman told me what a wonderful book it was. I decided to take a chance.  I enjoyed this book very much, and will see the movie when it hits the theater. 

I always miss the characters in a book for several days after I finish reading any book.  Does anyone else have this happen to them after finishing a book?

While perusing my facebook page, I saw a post about "Saving CeeCee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman. I went to our libraries home page and checked for availability. One copy was just waiting for me, off I went to check out this book.  Saturday afternoon into the late evening I sat and read.  First thing Sunday morning I made a cup of coffee and sat down and finished the book.  Loved it!

now realize that not only do I judge a book by its cover, I also listen to what other peoples opinions are about books. For your summer reading, I recommend these two books. Has anyone else read these books and loved them like I did?  Or perhaps you didn't like them.  Let me know, leave a comment.



I'm looking for a good book to read when I go on vacation next week.  
Any suggestions? Remember the cover has to be pretty, and you have to love it.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed The Help, too. I'll have to try Saving Cee-Cee Honeycutt.

    I recently read Michael Lee West's Gone With A Handsomer Man and thoroughly enjoyed it (pretty cover, too). After finishing it, I was delighted to know that another book featuring the main character is forthcoming.

    I also recently finished Mary Kay Andrews' Summer Rental which was a fun read as well. Again, cute cover.

    Read Janet Evanovich's latest and was disappointed.

    Have a new-to-me author, Michael Marshall, and his latest Killer Move which I just picked up from the library today. I got this one on the recommendation of Brenda at Cozy Little House.

    My husband just finished "Doc" by Maria Doria Russell; he said it was fantastic.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete