July 7, 2011

Basement Treasures #1

I don't like basements! Mine has become a storage warehouse for my treasures and unwanted junk. It's time to organize and get rid of the unwanted.

I walked down the stairs into the dungeon basement, flipped on the lights and surveyed the room.  A few vintage dresser, chairs, toys, tools, books, clothes, and boxes of stuff. Now I understand why my children threaten to call hoarders! 

As I surveyed the room, I spotted the Raggedy Ann doll that my mother made for my daughter sticking out of a dresser drawer. My mother was an excellent seamstress and crafter. (Somehow I missed that gene, darn it.) I remember my mom sitting on the couch stitching, by hand, these adorable Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls.


This is how I found Annie, naked and well loved.

After looking around for a few minutes, 
I was able to find her clothes and Raggedy Andy.

She is all dressed up.
My mother's tiny hand stitches.
When my mother made these dolls, the filling was small pieces of rubber.  
They didn't have fiber filling as they do now.
Here's Andy.
Hand embroidery on the front and collar of Andy.
Instead of living in the dungeon basement, the happy little pair now sit 
in a rocking chair, in my spare bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment