March 12, 2014

What Was Replaced In My 1970's Remodel

In my wildest dreams, I never imagined a modest remodel of my 1970's 1,300 square foot ranch home would take five months to be completed. Last week all three keys to my house were returned from the contractor, painter, and carpet/floor installers, I exhaled a huge sigh of relief.

I had to removed everything from the three bedrooms, including the closets. My living room resembled a furniture store, with bed frames, dressers, mirrors, and night stands. Where did they rest of my items get stored? All other items were sent to the basement, the dreaded basement where items go and often times are not seen for months and months. In plain words, I shoved the stuff all down in the dungeon of mess, my basement.

All my computer equipment was dismantled and stored safely under a sheet in the living room, and I moved to my oldest daughters house during the final stages of the remodel. Hence no posts.

I have now gotten the upstairs dusted, vacuumed, and reassembled, but the closet items and chachkies are still waiting to be rescued and returned to their places.

I want to get new furniture for the living room, and window treatments are giving me a small problem in my pocket book. I didn't realize how expensive blinds, shades and curtains are!

Here are a few before photos.


This is the hallway, with five construction grade doors from the 70's that I painted white. My linen closet door, on the right, would not close completely, which drove me crazy. All woodwork was replaced.


All door knobs were replaced.


Light fixtures were replaced.


All original light switches and outlets were replaced.


1970's sliding closet door replaced. For thirty seven years, I could only see half my closet at a time. See the carpet in this photo, replace.

All of these items have been replaced, I will show the replacement photos in another post.

I was touched by how many of you took the time to email me during my absence from blogging to see if I was alright. I appreciate your friendship.
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Hi Paulette, excited and intrigued to see the transformation. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to the "After" shots! Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to celebrate - it is finally done and looks all new and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see everything! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased that the workmen have finished and that you now have your home back to yourself. If your kitchen is anything to go by then I am certain that it all looks wonderful. It's so good to see you back to blogging, and thankyou for the message. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're home and everything is done! I'm sure it will be as beautiful as your kitchen. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great and extensive house makeover. I cannot wait to see the results of all this work. It is nice to know you had a place to stay, with your daughter, but what a shame about having to cram most of your stuff in the basement. It always is annoying to do that. Nonetheless, great transformation!

    ReplyDelete