May 28, 2013

Estate Sale Part Two

On Saturday, I did my first blog post from my iPhone titled, Estate Sale Wait Time, and I was amazed how easy the Blogger app was to use.

Here is the continuing story from that sale. . .

Saturday mornings temperatures were in the low 50's and windy, the attire of the estate sale shoppers ranged from carpi pants and tee shirts (these people were cold) to spring jackets and sweatshirts. The crowd was so big that to gain entry you had to sign up by writing your name on a yellow legal pad that was numbered. When I signed in, I was number 194, and they had just called number 134 to enter the house to start shopping.


While standing in the front yard waiting for our names to be called, the treasurer seekers around me began to talk and/or brag/boost on several different topics within my ear shot which made the wait time a little more bearable.

After five people had left the sale, five more were called, from the list to enter. Because of the long wait and the chilly weather, remember those people in carpi pants and tee shirts, several people left before their names were called from the list.

One overly zealous person who arrived just before I did, asked a person who was leaving the sale before their name was called if she could enter using her name. A deal was struck between the two, the person left, and the zealous estate shopper returned to her waiting spot.

About fifteen minutes later names were called, and the zealous lady entered the house to start shopping. Several people in the crowd yelled that she arrived after they did and that she used someone name. The zealous shopper was brought back outside to wait for HER name to be called. She didn't appear to be embarrassed as she rejoined the waiting crowd. I was not one of the people who yelled about her dishonest act.

After a wait time of just under an hour, the zealous lady and I were admitted to the sale. After entering the house, I understood why the wait time was so long. This was a two bedroom, one bath, living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room, and a sun room, filled with vintage items. This home did not have a basement and was very small.

Here are a few photos from inside the house.




Right after I took this picture with my iPhone a lady grabbed that complete set of Pyrex bowls!







This pink and gray Royal manual typewriter with several extra ribbons, was tucked in a corner of the laundry room, two hours into the sale and no one purchased it. I bet because it was priced at $85.00!

This house was so filled with items that a tent on the side of the yard was erected and became the home of boxes of items that were for sale. Check out was in the front yard of the house and the line wait time was a good twenty minutes.

Sunday morning new items would be available, it appears that the attic was full of vintage clothes. There wasn't enough room to display everything on Saturday.

I did purchase several items, and will show them to you as soon as I photograph them. It was a huge sale with many, many wonderful items. I am glad that I waited that hour for my name to be called.
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in England.Rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great Paulette, I would have loved to have had a rummage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am drooling over the vintage clothing! Can't wait to see what you got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never put my name of a waiting list for an estate sale - I guess it is just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish we had estate sales around here!

    ReplyDelete