April 20, 2015

History Made Into a Movie: Woman in Gold

I don't often go to the movie theater to watch a movie, but when my very dear friend, who had a knee replacement and who was going stir crazy asked, how could I refuse.

Our movie choice. . .


  1. "The film is based on the true story of the late Maria Altmann, an elderly Jewish refugee, living in Los Angeles who, together with her young lawyer, E. Randol Schoenberg, fought the government of Austria for almost a decade to reclaim Gustav Klimt's iconic painting of her aunt, Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, which was confiscated from her relatives by the Nazis in Vienna just prior to World War II. Altmann took her legal battle all the way to the Supreme Court of the United States, which ruled in her favor in Republic of Austria v. Altmann(2004)."Source Wikipedia
I'm sure you will recognize the painting by Gustav Klimt's, 'The Lady in Gold,' or as it was originally  named 'Portrait of Adele Bloch-Baurer,' the subject of the movie.


I'm embarrassed to say that I have no recollection of any of these event that were on going for ten years. 

I enjoyed the movie so much that I wanted to learn more about the events that surround this famous painting. I was able to find this non-fiction book that gives the history of the painter, Adele, and Vienna.


Here is a photo of Maria Bloch-Baurer Altmann, reunited with the portrait of her Aunt Adele.


Both the movie and the book has gotten mixed reviews. For several years, I have become very interested in history, so the movie and book, which does have some very dry spots, interest me. Has anyone else seen the movie, or remember hearing about Maria's struggle for ten years trying to get back the painting? I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love that portrait, and I have always liked Helen Mirren. I plan to see that movie! Thanks for the info, Paulette. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete