May 29, 2014

Wisconsin Author Susan Gloss' New Book, Vintage

I don't usually purchase the books I read, rather I will go to the public library to get my books. While I prefer to hold a book that I'm reading and feel the paper as I turn the pages, I have borrowed and even purchased books for my Kindle app on my iPad.

Over the Memorial Day weekend, Barnes and Noble sent me 20% off coupon via my inbox. I printed it off and shoved it in my purse. After Sunday breakfast with my sweet sister and brother in law, I decided to stop into the bookstore and purchase my grandson a Wreck This Journal, more on that later.

As I was walking towards the check out I spotted the book Vintage by Susan Gloss. What made me stop and pick up this book? The cover of course, I read books because I like the cover, or by recommendations of friends. Here are a few books that I've read because of their covers, click here, here, and here. Yep, I am that person who judges a book by its cover, and it works pretty well for me. Do I miss out on great reads, probably, but it's who I am.

What caught my attention was the word Vintage, the dress form and the vintage looking dress. I read the synopsis of the book and decided to treat myself.

The author Susan Gloss who lives in Madison, Wisconsin with her husband, child and dog wrote her debut novel and it takes place in and around the town she lives in, Madison, Wisconsin. Since I live in the cheese state of Wisconsin, and have been to Madison many, many times, I'm a little more than an hour away, I had to read the book.

The book is centered around a vintage clothing store and group of women who share hardships, love, and friendship. 

Book Description from Amazon. . .
"At Hourglass Vintage in Madison, Wisconsin, every item in the boutique has a story to tell . . . and so do the women who are drawn there.
Violet Turner has always dreamed of owning a shop like Hourglass Vintage. When she is faced with the possibility of losing it, she realizes that, as much as she wants to, she cannot save it alone.
Eighteen-year-old April Morgan is nearly five months along in an unplanned pregnancy when her hasty engagement is broken. When she returns the perfect 1950s wedding dress, she discovers unexpected possibilities and friends who won't let her give up on her dreams.
Betrayed by her husband, Amithi Singh begins selling off her old clothes, remnants of her past life. After decades of housekeeping and parenting a daughter who rejects her traditional ways, she fears she has nothing more ahead for her.
An engaging story that beautifully captures the essence of women's friendship and love, Vintage is a charming tale of possibility, of finding renewal and hope when we least expect it." 
The book has a few pages over three hundred, held my interest, and was a quick and enjoyable read. I learned some new terminology for example, what ikat print is. This book would be a great summer read.

I also purchased the Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith. 

School will be coming to an end very soon and I wanted to get my grandson something to keep him occupied that was creative, and fun. Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith check out her website here.

Here is the journal
Examples of pages inside 
Prompts are on each page
Of course, he read this prompt and wanted to use poo, ugh!
I can only imagine what the journal will look like finished.

My daughter and I will monitor him while he is 'Wrecking' his journal. I'm sure this was not intended for an eight year old, but with guidance from an adult it will be fun for all of us.
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I found your blog today very interesting and loved the idea of that book for your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea the "Wreck this Journal." Will pass it in to my niece who has a 7 year old. I, too, fall for book covers. Especially the old threadbare, tattered kind! Still trying to get the moldy smell out of some finds. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. The vintage book sounds really great, the sort of read I would enjoy Paulette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book does look good, I would be taken in by the word "vintage" too?

    That journal will be great fun, another version of SMASHing!

    ReplyDelete