April 9, 2013

My Destination Wedding Favors Arrived

Weddings are fun events to attend, but when it's a family members wedding it's exciting. I have such good memories of attending weddings with my parents when I was young. Putting on my fancy girl dress, the laced rimmed socks with my black or white, depending on the season, patten leather strapped shoes, and twirling around and around the dance floor with my full skirt feeling like a star.

Someone snapped this photo of my dad and me
at a family wedding reception in the late '50's.
Today young couples have several options when it comes to planning their weddings, one is not better than the other, but they have choices when planning their memorable day. Such is the case for my great nephew and his fiancee, in just ten short days we will all be attending their destination wedding in the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana.


This is a map of the resort where the wedding will take place and where we all will be staying for five days, The Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort.


The doorbell rang one day last week and I found a small brown box resting on my doorstep. I love mail, and I especially love little boxes that arrive in the mail. The box was from, the soon to be married couple, and contained gifts/favors for their up coming wedding.


Inside the box was a thermal cup, it reads, TO HAVE AND TO HOLD AN TO KEEP MY DRINK COLD, PUNTA CANA 2013, a can coozie, a fan mister to keep cool during the ceremony, a resort map and the itinerary of the wedding events. Such fun wedding favors.


Along with the itinerary came some helpful tips to make our experience more enjoyable.

"Spanish is the national language of the Dominican Republic, so we want to make sure you know these important words/phrases."

They are. . .

Hi - Hola (say this to anyone you see, especially the staff working at the hotel, they love friendly guests)

Peanuts - Cacahuates (they serve peanuts at the lobby bar so it's important to know how to order your snacks and it's just a fun to say)

Where is the bathroom? - Donde esta el bano? (drinking all day makes you have to use this important room)

Please - Por favor (because your parent's taught you to be polite)

Thank you - Gracias (again your partent' taught you to be polite)

One more please - Uno mas por favor (so you know how to oder an other cocktail)

They left out a very important phrase, I will have to find out on my own how to ask where the nearest thrift store is :))

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Good luck on finding a thrift store. Enjoy the warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's going to be a grand old time!!! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute pic of you and your dad! I, too, love getting packages in the mail. I'm jealous of your upcoming vacation. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious picture of you and your dad! What a wonderful place to be together as a family for a wedding! Best wishes and great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh have fun my dear friend! Love the picture of you and your daddy.
    My niece is getting married in May, and her mom had wanted a destination wedding. I was glad it was not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paulette! My elder daughter is getting married in the Dominican Republic in August! Her wedding is at a different resort, but she and A have stayed at Bavaro on a previous trip. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha. I love those! Those are very quirky wedding favors! It's really exciting and at the same time nerve-wracking to have to travel to another country that does not exactly speak that much English for a wedding. The place looks really awesome so the language barrier might just be forgotten.

    Dustin Maxwell

    ReplyDelete