September 28, 2011

Sweet Milk Lassies

While reading These Is My Words, by Nancy E. Turner, I came across the term sweet milk lassi. When I am, reading I have my laptop or my i Pad close by so I can look up words that I am not familiar with. I like to use The Free Dictionary by Farlex, not only does this dictionary give you the meaning, but if I am using my laptop, the program will pronounce the word for me. I also do a google search for images of items that I am reading about. For example, I will type in saguaro cactus into the google search box click search and in the upper left corner click on images. Now I can see what this cactus looks like.

Type in the item that you want to search for.

Click on images in the upper left corner and 
you will see pictures of your searched item.


I was not familiar what a lassie was, specifically a milk lassi from the early 1900's. Google to the rescue. I was able to find out that there are many versions of this drink from different cultures. I wanted a recipe that would have been used during the early 1900's by the pioneers. 

I found that a sweet milk lassie is cold or warm milk with some sort of sweetener that is mixed or shaken with clotted cream on top. Here, is a recipe that I thought perhaps would be used during that period of time.




Ingredients: 
500 ml. - just a little over 2 cups very chilled pasteurised whole milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
2 drops vanilla essence




I am feeling a little under the weather but plan on making one of these sweet milk lassi for myself as soon as I am up and about.

7 comments:

  1. I am going to have to check out "The Free Dictionary", thanks for sharing and I hope you are feeling better soon and your milk lassi turns out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book brought me here, too! I googled "milk lassies" and it brought me here :) Thanks for the recipe and explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recipe ; came here while reading the very same book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As did I!! I love These is my words! I am on my second time reading this book(however my mother has read it too many times to count!). I love all three of the books in the series and wish it would continue and more books would be written of this family and time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the series at least 20 times. I wish they would make a movie!

      Delete
  5. Sarah Agnes Prine has sure educated me too!

    ReplyDelete