January 1, 2013

Would You Do A Polar Bear Plunge?

This morning just over one hundred brave people started their new year off by jumping into Lake Michigan, known to us in Kenosha as the Polar Bears Plunge.

Every year on January 2nd I see the photos and read the article about the people who participate in this event, but this year I decided to take a drive down to the lake and witness this event for myself.

I was astonished at the number of people down by the lake, not just participants but spectators. 

The water was 34 degrees, outside temperature was around 14 degrees with a wind chill factor of zero, burr.

Whatever the reasons for jumping into the icy water they all seemed to enjoy the plunge. 

I was surprised to see so many participants
and spectators as I approached the lake front.
Everyone who was going to participate in the plunge stood
in a roped off area waiting for the signal to enter the water.
Local divers entered the water to first to provide assistance if needed.
And they're off.
This photo was taken by:BY SEAN KRAJACIC 
From start to finish the plunge lasted less than 45 seconds.
In ...
and out.
Here is the age old question?
What's under the kilt?
Family and friends rush forward to congratulate
their loved ones with towels and blankets. 
The party atmosphere was fun, but short lived.
It was cold out there!
This activity was fun to watch however I don't believe I will participate. Would you?

Szczesliwego Nowego Roku

(sh-tsh-"en"-shly-veh-go noh-veh-goh Roh-koo)

Polish for 
Happy New Year

Cheerfully, 
Paulette

6 comments:

  1. I am just cold looking at the pictures! BBBrrrrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me out. It doesn't look inviting at all. We all know what is under that kilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Paulette!

    I'm with Ann, just looking at these photos makes me cold. Definitely not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! No way!! Where I live it's common, near the shore, to do a Christmas Day swim... I never have. No way!

    *waving hello* from a new follwer, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter is doing a Polar Plunge for charity next week (in Ohio) I told her my donation was good even if she chickened out. (she won't!)

    ReplyDelete